Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Some horrible disease

I'm feeling very pessimistic right now. It's getting close to wintertime. I am waking up with aches and pains more and more often, which happens as the weather gets cold, every year. The days get shorter and I can't do anything on those days when it's dark at 5 PM. I have some horrible disease right now, but I'm getting over the worst of it - I was awake all night in a miserable, disgusting state, blowing my nose, coughing, drooling, and spitting, and trying not to throw up. I would have wanted to call off work, except there's no excuse, since I'm feeling almost human again.

I feel pessimistic, because in the wintertime, especially during football season when a hundred thousand people (or however many) visit this town a couple times each month, the colds and flus just come back again and again and again, so that I might have one healthy week (or, really, just a couple days) followed by a sick week, and just as I'm getting well again, the viruses come back and I'm sick and useless again for a week or two. It's this neverending cycle of illnesses with brief interludes of feeling okay. The cycle has begun. It won't be over until about June of next year. The summer is the only time when I resemble a functioning, healthy human being. I know that all I have to look forward to, right now, is months and months of barely tolerable misery.

I love autumn and the colored leaves and clear skies; I love the beauty of winter; I love the snow; I love many things about winter, but I don't do well with the constant fatigue, body aches, cold-induced arthritis, dry indoor air, short days and long nights, and recurring cycles of colds and flu.

So I really don't have much good to say today.

No comments: