Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A long, silver hair

Today, by accident, I just happened to find a new silver hair that I never saw before. It happened because I temporarily wrapped my hair up around my head to get it out of the way while I was doing something. I hadn't wrapped it like that in a long time, and I was examining it because it works differently with dreadlocks. The last time I tried wrapping it that way, my hair was more like 'greasy strings' instead of actual mats. This is the one year anniversary of the no shampoo experiment, which I started last January. The dreadlocks at the roots of my hair are now longer and more visible, several inches long.

(I've had coffee but not food, so this is a 'hunger blog.' This could be long and obsessive.)

The silver hair sparkled in the light when I looked in the mirror. It appeared because the hair was wrapped in a different position than usual. I traced the piece of hair back to where it came from, somewhere near the right ear.

I've never seen any that long before. I've found short ones on my temples, the edge of my face, and they never grow longer than an inch or two before they fall off. I also have a couple of gray eyebrow hairs.

This very long silver hair has been there all this time, and I didn't even know. It is years and years and years long, at least a foot and a half, maybe longer. It brought tears to my eyes when I found it - an unexpected treasure that I didn't know I had, sparkling and beautiful and amazing, secretly growing where I couldn't see it.

Gray hair means 'I survived.' It means I didn't get killed doing something stupid, or having an accident, or committing suicide, or being destroyed by any of the terrible things that have happened to me. It means that either I'm lucky, or I know what to do and what not to do. It means I care about my life.

No comments: