Saturday, July 12, 2008

The importance of destroying satellites while it's still relatively easy to do so

I'm not sure why they want me to write about this topic today. I know how the discussion started, though.

I went off the deep end again because somebody prepared my food improperly without following the instructions. And it's one of our slightly more expensive food items. A crucial ingredient or two was left out, and it affected my enjoyment of my meal.

Whenever I 'go off the deep end,' I don't actually yell at anybody out loud. I grumble and mumble and say a few curse words, and call them all a bunch of insulting names, in private, without actually saying anything to them directly. Or I complain about it on my blog.

I always feel guilty about this because I see myself as being too judgmental or too harsh. And I sometimes envy people who are able to just sloppily throw things together just so that they get done quickly and it's out there on the shelf. The shelf LOOKS full, and therefore, nobody gets in trouble. You'd have to examine each thing really closely (the way the customer does, as they're eating it) to see what's wrong with it.

(Everyone loves it when I talk about food. But that wasn't really the main topic.)

So anyway, some people reassured me that maybe I wasn't being too harsh - maybe this wasn't a bad thing. Instead it's a virtue in some situations to be picky and perfectionistic, to follow the rules exactly and to the letter, to not allow a single mistake. In some areas it matters.

It matters a lot if you're working with things that are very dangerous. Quality control in anything that involves chemicals, explosives, manufacturing, diseases, surgery - anything that really DOES have to be perfect in order to be safe. That's what got us on the subject of satellites.

For me, the 'mind control satellites' are just theoretical. I can't tell you their exact coordinates, how they work, who put them there, how they got there, how long they've been there, or what exactly they're doing. I can only speculate that perhaps they're up there, because I experience the things that I experience, and a lot of other people are also experiencing the same things.

I would rather that those satellites not be up there. I think I'm not the only person who would strongly prefer that those particular satellites not be up there, doing what they're doing.

However, somebody else thinks they SHOULD be up there. Somebody decided that that is the appropriate way to treat human beings. A lot of us disagree with that opinion. I think this is a legitimate grievance. I think mind-control satellites are NOT the appropriate way to treat human beings.

I'm usually rather strict about using nonviolent approaches to solving problems in society. I argue against 'blowing stuff up' and I agree with the joke that said the government spy in your group is the guy telling you to blow stuff up. However, I'm making an exception for those theoretical mind-control satellites. I think there will probably be very few civilian casualties or collateral damages if a mind-control satellite gets destroyed. There aren't many people standing around next to them, as far as I know.

We got on the topic of satellites in kind of an indirect way because they mentioned that perfectionistic pickiness is a good thing to have whenever you're building something to shoot at the satellites. (Again, I wouldn't know who's doing any such thing - and no, it isn't me - but I wish them the best of luck.)

So really, this all happened because I complained about sloppily prepared food, and felt guilty for being so annoyed about it.

Satellites are one of those things that do actually worry me a bit. I don't worry about much, but there are certain things that seem like they really WOULD be a big deal. For instance, if a giant asteroid crashed into the planet, that would be a serious problem. And also, if there were any theoretical mind-control satellites up there right now, doing things we aren't happy about, it would really suck if, for some reason, we couldn't get them down or shut them off. It's not easy to just go up there whenever we want to. If I can't sleep at night because a bunch of people are yelling 'WE ARE... PENN STATE!!!' that's not so bad. It's a little harder to deal with it if, for instance, I can't sleep because some satellite is doing stuff I don't want it to do.

And another little thing to worry about is how difficult it might be to get those satellites down from there if, for instance, a plague or some other problem wiped out large numbers of people down here on earth. We wouldn't really have many resources, like a large manufacturing industry, to produce things like metals, chemicals, tools, electronic equipment, and anything else that might be useful. So we might find it difficult to shoot down the satellites (assuming they even exist, since I can only speculate about such things) if we had no resources down here on earth. That would suck.

I imagine there will probably be some arguments about how to use our resources, what little resources we have. I've been pushing for some kind of shielded areas to give people help immediately, however the satellite project also seems pretty important too. So I wish them the best on that. I can only imagine things like mind-control satellites, but I'm sure there are people out there who know that they're real, and are already working on that problem. There are those of us who do appreciate the help.

No comments: