Wednesday, July 2, 2008

amalgam fillings

I didn't post anything this week because on Monday I had my silver amalgam filling replaced with a composite resin filling. I also had a new cavity in one of my canine teeth, so I got that one filled too.

My reaction to the composite resin was really bad, so I was sick all Monday night and just didn't feel like myself on most of Tuesday. I still don't quite feel like myself.

There is a good effect I'm noticing. The metal filling had been leaking enough that I could frequently taste metal. Whenever I tasted the metal, I would then feel very sick at my stomach afterwards. That problem has been solved. I also have less of a horrible taste in my mouth when I wake up in the morning, now that the metal filling is gone. And I'm not sure yet whether this is a long-lasting effect, but I'm noticing it's easier to get up in the mornings - I'm not so exhausted.

I'm doing some research to decide what I want to do about these fillings in the long run, because I don't really feel comfortable about these composite resins. I think I'm better off than I was with the leaking silver-mercury-copper amalgam. But the new composites are causing some unpleasant and frightening symptoms - as i said, I just don't really feel quite right. This is one of those times when it's really, really obvious just how severely chemical sensitive I am. I react badly to almost EVERYTHING.

I'm thinking I'll wait about two weeks and see if the new fillings 'settle in' and if the symptoms get better. If not, I'll go from there.

No comments: