Monday, June 15, 2009

beliefnet test results

Forgot to mention, my parents were officially Episcopalian, but we rarely went to church, except sometimes with my grandmother.

I'm already familiar with secular humanism.  One of my most important authors, Tom Flynn, is a secular humanist.  He's the one who wrote the book about not celebrating Christmas - I stopped once and for all because of that book, and had already been moving in that direction for several years anyway.

I answered some of the questions in a way that would be logically contradictory, because sometimes I have a concept which is 'similar to' what they are asking, but logically inconsistent with my atheism.  For instance, there was a question about who gets saved, and I was able to fill in several answers, and I said something like 'everybody, because God is all-forgiving.'  On that question, I also said, 'adhere strictly to the rites, practices, etc to be rewarded after life,' because I do, in fact, have a set of rules to adhere to, in order to be 'rewarded,' quote unquote, 'after life,' quote unquote, which means:  to bear healthy, happy children, and build a strong community that continues to live after you yourself die.  And the third answer I gave on that question was, 'humankind is "saved" through human effort, not through divine intervention or whatever.'

There was an annoying popup ad that kept appearing throughout the quiz.  I had to change the settings on my browser to stop it from happening.  It was, like, almost every time I pressed the button.

I had a hard time with 'should you reject conventional medical treatment, and just pray instead?'  Rejecting conventional medical treatment is central to my beliefs, but prayer and meditation ISN'T what I do instead.  I believe I have a 'different set of conventions' about what kinds of medical treatment should and shouldn't be done.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (98%)
3. Liberal Quakers (92%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (90%)
5. Neo-Pagan (82%)
6. Theravada Buddhism (78%)
7. Sikhism (75%)
8. Nontheist (74%)
9. Hinduism (72%)
10. Mahayana Buddhism (70%)
11. Orthodox Quaker (70%)
12. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (68%)
13. Reform Judaism (67%)
14. New Age (63%)
15. Seventh Day Adventist (59%)
16. Eastern Orthodox (58%)
17. Orthodox Judaism (58%)
18. Roman Catholic (58%)
19. Scientology (58%)
20. Taoism (56%)
21. New Thought (55%)
22. Jehovah's Witness (55%)
23. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (54%)
24. Jainism (51%)
25. Baha'i Faith (50%)
26. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (50%)
27. Islam (46%)

No comments: