Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Flight of the Barnswallow - postponed

I went to Tudek Park and saw the barnswallows flying back and forth over the football field. Barnswallows are very common around here, but I love them - they're my favorite bird. Their flight is amazing. They have narrow wings, and a v-shaped tail, and they can turn quickly to follow flying insects.

I was going to get them on videocamera. And I did get them, a couple times, but they were too far away, so you can see a fast-moving flying dot, and not much more than that. You can't see their color, or the shape, or how they move, or why it is that their way of flying is so different from other birds, or how lightweight and maneuverable they are. Just a black dot. My camera can't zoom in very well, and also, I had to turn my body constantly to keep the bird in sight. So that video didn't really work.

Apparently, this is becoming a Nature Videos series. I didn't really plan to make that, but that's what it is.

No comments: