Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Last Straw: Bad Luck

I was going to blog about all the bad luck I've had in the past couple days, but I was putting it off. The last straw was right now, when I went to Sheetz and ordered a sandwich. I got the sandwich, came home, opened it up, and found out it was a meatball sub instead of a steak ciabatta. I hadn't looked at it carefully enough - it was somebody else's order. I just grabbed it off the counter and walked out. I would never order just a plain meatball sub with sauce and parmesan. I always order big, complicated, elaborate sandwiches with just about every possible kind of vegetable and condiment and spices that they have. Maybe not every single one, but a whole bunch of things. I wouldn't get something that had no lettuce, tomatoes, or onions on it. When I saw that, I was like, yuck.

Before that, I got up this morning and found out that the refrigerator door had been stuck slightly open all night long, because there was a box pushed against the edge of the door, from when I had been walking around back there and carrying some stuff out to move to the storage unit. So all my food was lukewarm/lukecool, and I decided that it wasn't a good idea to eat it. I didn't have a lot in there, but the leftovers were going to be my breakfast this morning.

Yesterday afternoon, I was going to go on a quick adventure to check and see whether the snakes were still at the Official Penn State University Snake Zoo. I went a few days before, but none of the snakes were out. They were hiding somewhere. I met a girl who was visiting her boyfriend, who was in jail on a minor drug charge from going to a party in State College. So, she was the one having more bad luck than I was, that day. But I had bad luck not finding any snakes. Anyway, so I wanted to go again and look for them.

However, I did something stupid with my door, as I was about to leave. I walked outside for something, I forget what. I shut the door behind me. There was a plastic bag with clothing in it, which was hanging on the inner door handle. I had noticed a couple days ago that once, the bag had caused the door handle to turn a little bit, while locked, and when I moved the bag, it snapped back into place, and it had been neither locked nor unlocked, but somewhere in between. I didn't worry about it.

So yesterday, when I went back up to open the door, the key wouldn't open it. It would turn to the left, but not the right. I shook it and banged it with my fist and tried to snap the inner door handle back into place, because I knew exactly what was happening - it was the bag hanging on the door, and it had slightly turned the door handle. But I couldn't shake it enough to make it click into the right position.

My landlord was asleep, sitting in the back of his truck. This is his busiest time of year. I didn't want to disturb his nap. But I was lucky he was there. So I woke him up, and when he tried the door handle, he said it felt like somebody had taken apart the door handle, then put it back together wrong. I got angry immediately because I didn't do any such thing. I explained again that there was just a bag hanging on the inside of the door which had slightly pulled the doorknob the wrong way and messed up the lock. It was hard to describe.

He had to get a ladder, go up to the window, and cut open the screen. Fortunately, the window was open. He crawled through and opened the door from inside. I tried to demonstrate what the bag was doing when it hung on the door handle, but he was still skeptical and couldn't understand.

So he took a screwdriver, took apart the doorknob, and looked at it inside to make sure everything was all right. I knew there was nothing wrong inside the doorknob, it was just the stupid bag hanging on it which had twisted it the wrong way somehow. Finally he put it back together, after seeing that nothing was wrong, and I tried again (but couldn't) to demonstrate what was happening. So, he left, and I apologized several times.

After that, I finally drove back out to visit the Penn State Snake Zoo, but the gate was locked because it was too late in the evening. So I still didn't get to see the snakes.

The night before that, there was a horrible thunderstorm, and the lightning struck really, really, really close by, and I screamed. I guess that's good luck, not bad luck, because it didn't actually hit me.

Also, the day before that, I tried to talk to this one girl whose apartment I was going to look at, but we played phone tag, except it was one-way phone tag, where I tagged her, and she didn't tag me back. So I ended up not getting to go over there when we had planned to. So I don't know if I can get that apartment or not.

I am now going to go force myself to eat somebody else's meatball sub, even though it's yucky and boring and doesn't have any vegetables on it, and I would never order a meatball sub. I have to eat SOMETHING for lunch today.

No comments: