Sunday, February 14, 2010

Googling 'Yulia Tymoshenko "fake braid"' got me lots of long hair photos, but didn't answer my question

I'm fascinated with long hair and I noticed a picture of Yulia Tymoshenko (I've never heard of her before) wearing a long braid wrapped over her head. Fake braids are 'in.' I've been seeing them in the fashion magazines. They attach some fake hair and make it look a little bit loose and messy so that the braid seems less perfect and more realistic. They even make the braids get narrower towards the end, like real hair. One of the articles quoted the hair stylist, who explained about how the hair extensions worked. So I was wondering if Yulia's hair is fake. But it might actually be real.

REAL long hair can NEVER be 'in.' It's not possible to quickly grow really long hair temporarily, just as a fad, for a year or two when it's popular, and then go back to the usual shoulder-length hair. So they have to attach fake braids. These braids, in the fashion magazines, are right around waist length or hip length, called 'classic length,' which is a sort of average length that Caucasian people's hair usually grows before the hairs fall out and start over again. (Read in the encyclopedia about how hair grows and why it only reaches a certain length before it stops.)

My hair reached its fullest length and wouldn't grow any more, so I am experimenting with dreadlocks (or dredlocks? I'm not sure how to spell it) to see if they will let the disconnected hairs remain attached to the lock, and the whole lock will grow to infinite length, according to the theory.

I still don't know if her braid is real. I tried making my own braid go up over my head like that, but it obviously gets thinner and thinner. Hers is the same thickness the whole way around, which made it look suspicious. She might be one of those lucky people who is able to grow thick, floor-length hair, and the braid might be real.

That was why the rule says that people have to grow their hair long regardless of whether it's 'in' or not. It isn't just about having some particular image. There are a lot of meanings connected with the long hair. It's a sign of self-restraint, the ability to resist impulses, to remain committed to a long-term goal. It's also about following the rule regardless of what particular results you're able to achieve. For instance, a balding man has to follow the long hair rule, even though his hair won't grow very long and it will be fragile and thin. You do what you can, with what you have. He has to be able to tolerate standing side by side with another man whose hair is longer and thicker, and not get into a destructive competition against that man. You have to also tolerate the 'loss of uniqueness,' when you aren't allowed to choose your own hairstyle anymore, to make yourself look different or have a particular 'image.' If everybody else has long hair, you don't stand out in a crowd anymore. Instead, you're surrounded by dozens of people, many of whom have longer, healthier, prettier hair than you do.

It gets even more difficult when different races try to compete against each other - African coily hair doesn't grow as long as straight textured hair. It only grows for a couple of years before it falls off and starts over, which is why black people hardly ever have hair longer than shoulder length. It can grow longer if it is matted into locks. But it's physically impossible to expect a black person to grow floor-length hair loose, not matted into locks. And you have to tolerate these differences between what people are realistically able to do. So each person is simply doing whatever they themselves are able to do, nothing more.

One concern about growing long hair is that it's physically dangerous. You really can get your hair caught in machinery, like the conveyor belt where you put your groceries at the checkout lane, or the door of a car, or the rotating fan in a hot tub. I heard a horrible true story about a lady who drowned because her hair wrapped around the filter fan in the hot tub, so I take these dangers seriously. Sometimes it could kill you; other times it could just ruin your hair so badly that it has to be cut out, and you will be terribly humiliated when someone has to help you get unstuck from whatever you got stuck in. So if and when anybody starts to follow the grooming rules, they will need to learn how to pin up their hair for safety in certain situations.

I notice that the Amish always wear their hair in a bun, no matter what. I might reluctantly say we'd have to do that, but I really don't want to. Since nobody is following the rule yet, it will be a while before anybody needs to decide how to keep long hair safe from being tangled in things.

***

I still need to talk to my managers at work and make some kind of arrangement for how many hours I'm going to work. I was having the chest pains after lifting something heavy and carrying it up the stairs. I was working a reduced number of hours at McD and I was being careful not to exert myself too much, not to run around too quickly or lift heavy things. But I went downstairs and I carried up a big box with eight bags of sugar in it, for our sweet tea. After carrying it up the stairs, my chest was hurting again and it hurt for a little while after that.

I have a doctor's appointment, but I know that the doctor won't be able to help. Also, there are things I need to be prepared for, to protect myself: for instance, there will be absolutely NO diagnostic imaging that involves injecting radioactive substances into my bloodstream, or anything like that, and no X-rays, and lots of other diagnostic methods are too dangerous to use.

I'm guessing that the problem will go away whenever I patch up the plant-poisoning residues on the carpet and my clothes. The doctor wouldn't ever be able to figure out that my problems were caused by grayanotoxin residues on my carpets and clothing, because, of course, the entire mainstream USA doesn't know the slightest thing about transdermal drugs or poisonous plants or chemical sensitivity or environmental illness. I already know about how doctors can't help - I've been there before, years and years ago.

'Environmental illness' is the large overall category that includes things like transdermal drug residues. There is a model of what causes illness or health in general. Malnutrition, not getting enough of something you need, is one category; environmental illness, being sickened by chemicals or something else in your environment, is another category; microbes, like bacteria and viruses, are another category. Those are things that you can control during your lifetime. There is also a category of things you can't control: predisposition caused by some permanent problem in your body, some deformity or defect that you cannot change.

I'm running out of time here. I could connect again here at my new apartment and have unlimited time. But I don't really want to set up my own internet connection at home again, because I waste way too much time on the internet, just reading random things and wandering from place to place. It actually works better for me if my time is limited and I have to do other things, like read books instead.

5 comments:

Hair Grow Faster Shampoo Tips said...

Hair Grow Faster Shampoo Tips...

[...]Googling ‘Yulia Tymoshenko “fake braid”‘ got me lots of long hair photos, but didn’t answer my question « Retmeishka[...]...

Some of my most useless posts are the most popular. « Retmeishka said...

[...] http://retmeishka.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/googling-yulia-tymoshenko-fake-braid-got-me-lots-of-long-... [...]

Anonymous said...

the braid is not wrapped around the head. The hair is braided around the head. Thus this hair style does not require overly long to create. It can be achieved with medium length hair with out extensions.

Nicole said...

Thank you, that explains a lot. It sounds sort of like french braiding, which I have done before. I think lots of people are googling Yulia Tymoshenko again lately because of what's going on in Ukraine....

cara memanjangkan rambut dengan cepat dan mudah said...

I have to thank you for the efforts you have
put in writing this website. I'm hoping to see the
same high-grade content by you in the future as well.
In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own website now ;)