Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter - I saw it today and I still don't know what to say about it.

I thought it was very good, and very intense, and I cried. It's better than I expected. It was well done as a movie, but I'll have to buy the DVD and watch it a few hundred times before I can really form an opinion about it. (just kidding.)

I felt cameraderie with the other people in the movie, all the people watching it. Everyone went there knowing what would happen and knowing that it was going to be painful. There were a lot of people there - it wasn't one of those times when you go to an empty theatre with only three or four people in it besides yourself. It was so full, I offered to move over so that I could give a woman and her son two seats that were beside each other.

Something funny accidentally happened in the beginning. I was the first person to walk into the theatre. It happened because I bought my ticket a little while in advance, maybe 45 minutes or so, and then I went off in my car and wandered around a little bit, listening to music, before I came back to the theatre. When I walked in, it was just about time for the movie to start. There was a big line of people sitting down outside the theatre. Apparently, the previous showing had just let out, and they were expected to wait a few minutes while the janitors cleaned it up.

So all these people were waiting in line. But, being socially clueless, I looked at this big line of people waiting outside the theatre, and instead of going to 'my place' in the very back of the line, I just looked at them, and then I walked directly into the theatre ahead of everybody. Oops. Suddenly a whole flood of people was following me, the entire line. I guess nobody had known the exact moment when the janitors were done cleaning and checking for anybody who might still be hanging out from the previous show, and nobody had told the line that they could go in, so they kept waiting even though the theatre was ready for them, until I got there and just walked right in.

I felt very important. LOL.

There was a lot of eye contact between me and the other people, while walking around, going to the bathroom, etc. Everyone felt like we were all in this together. This particular movie, if you haven't read the book, is a much more serious and traumatic movie than the previous ones.

I feel like Harry Potter fans are the type of people who understand me - I feel more in common with them than I do with people who don't know about it. The theme is of someone who just doesn't fit in in the regular world, but eventually meets another world of people who are like him.

I wouldn't have been a Harry Potter fan myself, except that my ex-boyfriend used to read those books to his daughter, and helped teach her how to read that way. So that's how I got into it.

Now I am a 'medium hardcore' fan. I don't have it all memorized as much as some people do though. But I am pretty hardcore because I almost believe that a lot of the ideas are literal truth, very close to reality, almost but not quite. I use a lot of their concepts when I talk about things, whenever I write, and I refer to incidents that happened in the movies and books as though they were real. (I haven't tried writing any fan fiction though, and probably won't.)

The new word I'm using to describe myself is 'thin-skinned', easily upset emotionally. That's not *really* true most of the time, just sometimes. Getting very involved in the movies and crying and being scared is something I've been doing a lot lately.

I still feel attached to the movie, like I didn't really get back to normal reality yet.

I was concerned that that particular theatre would give me problems, because their sound system, or something there, makes me get dizzy and sick - I think it is very deep bass vibrations from the speakers, infrasound or almost infrasound - I guess there is a range of frequencies that can affect people - it doesn't have to be all the way as low as infrasound. I didn't eat anything before I went there, and yeah, I did have problems several times with being affected by the dizziness and the sounds.

But there was another person who got upset, and it wasn't from something technical, it was from the traumatic scene of Dumbledore drinking the water near the end of the movie. During that scene, I just covered my eyes. And then this person a couple rows behind me started making gagging noises. I was afraid somebody would do that. I'm emetophobic, so when I go to the movies, I worry that there might be a scene that has vomiting, or something similar enough that it will make me feel sick. It was awful the first time I went to see The Chamber of Secrets, which shows Ron vomiting up slugs. I hadn't read the book yet and didn't know what to expect!

Okay, well... now I need to decide what I will do for the rest of the evening.

No comments: