Friday, November 28, 2008

equivalence

an interesting thing happened today. an object appeared on the 'to' side of my people list, which was already on the 'from' side of my people list.

i wrote a list on my refrigerator with people's names, and things that i had promised to them, and things i expected to receive from them. it's all been postponed, because i'm having difficulty getting a second job, and that's my biggest emergency right now. anyway, the 'things promised/expected' are sometimes material objects and sometimes intangible things.

i was just musing about somebody and there was something i wanted for that person, something he had needed for a long time now. and i suddenly realized that somebody else had said they would give me that thing on the 'expected to receive' side of my list.

i'm not sure how to describe how i felt. it was a feeling that everything was coming together and working the way i wanted it to. in fact i hadn't even expected that to happen - the same thing on both sides of the list? i had just not bothered to ask myself what to do if that happened. i just imagined that i personally would provide the things i gave, and take the things i received, myself.

it's sort of like playing 'king's quest,' except in real life. bring the bouquet of flowers to somebody and get a basket of goodies in return, or whatever. it probably takes more work to play this 'game' than king's quest though.

No comments: