Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shoe-throwing is popular now.

A news article shows a picture of hundreds of thrown shoes on the street in Great Britain to protest Israel's bombing of Gaza.

Shoe-throwing can now be done on Facebook and in video games. There are Facebook groups dedicated to Muntada Al-Zaidi.

I laughed at the picture at www.throwashoe.com, which shows Bush leaning backwards and dodging shoes like Neo dodges bullets in 'The Matrix.' I don't have affection for Bush, and the picture sort of implies an attitude of 'friendly joking' with him, but it's funny anyway.

Now I'm thinking of all the times when I've seen thrown shoes. Sometimes you see tied-together shoes hanging on the power lines. In the movie 'Holes,' one kid throws away a pair of stolen shoes, and another kid picks them up, which gets him wrongfully convicted of theft. I'm sure I'll notice more incidents of shoe-throwing now that I'm paying attention.

I wonder if Muntada Al-Zaidi knows about how shoe-throwing became so popular because of him? I guess he's going to be in jail for a while. I wish he could know.

1 comment:

Vigilante said...

If there isn't an organized movement to free the Shoeman, there should be!