Saturday, January 31, 2009

This site may harm your health

My apartment is not yet safe or settled.

Fumes: Still present. Varying severity from day to day.

Carbon Monoxide: Not.

Test Kits for Identifying Unknown Fumes: Unavailable, or not easily found, or just unknown to me.

Actions Taken: Sleep elsewhere. Keep windows closed and heat on to avoid freezing water pipes, per agreement with landlord. I'm actually keeping a window or door open at all times when I'm in here. Landlord doesn't know I'm not sleeping in here. He actually has been very concerned and helpful, as much as can reasonably be expected, when our carbon monoxide detectors didn't detect anything. He isn't acting like a jerk, but at the same time, he can't understand what the fumes are when no equipment can detect them, so he just has to assume that there's nothing here. It's too long of a story to explain to him my theories of what it might be.

Future actions planned: Clean floors and toilet thoroughly in areas where any chemicals were sprayed, mixed, and/or spilled. Open windows when weather gets warmer. Continue observing sources of problem. Collect alternative theories.

Alternative Theories (from self and friends):
1. somebody is burning candles or operating equipment or something in another apartment, or cooking on the stove.
2. landlord sprayed some chemical when he came in to examine the water heater a week or two ago.
3. something is in the drains of sinks or bathtub or toilet.
4. something in back 'box' part of toilet
5. mixed chemicals on floor or old contaminated laundry
6. water heater giving off fumes by unknown method
7. arcing electricity somewhere giving off ozone
8. baseboard heater overheating and giving off bad smell (the landlord believed he had fixed it, but the next day, it was stuck on again, and was heating when it was supposed to be off, so I used the circuit breaker again to turn it off)
9. unknown... none, or several, of the above (this is always in my list of theories, by default.)

It just seems interesting that this is the third time I have had unknown fumes in my apartment in the middle of winter or early spring. Like I said before, I've always assumed it was my fault and that it had to do with using chemical household cleaners. I still don't know.

I'm not taking any chances. I take it very seriously. It is still unknown. So... we continue troubleshooting.

No comments: