Thursday, June 16, 2011

Why you should never, ever put honey mustard sauce into a 4-piece McNugget box and give it to a customer

So we had one of those days at McDonald's. A couple people called off sick, and we were very busy and everyone was under a lot of stress.

We ran out of the little packets of honey mustard sauce that you dip nuggets in. So they told me to just tell the customers we were out of it if anyone tried to order any. So I told this one lady in drive thru that we were out of honey mustard, and she sounded all disappointed, and wouldn't take any other kind of sauce but that. Honey mustard, and only honey mustard, would do. That should have been a sign to me that this lady wasn't easy to please. But no, I had a brilliant idea for how I could give her honey mustard sauce anyway, and I went ahead with my plan.

I asked the grill team guys to get the honey mustard from the bottle, and put it into a 4-piece nuggets box. We actually had a different kind of honey mustard which we put into squeeze bottles so that the grill team can put it on the sandwiches and wraps, but we were just out of the kind that comes in the convenient little dipping packs.

So they did that for me, and they put the nugget boxes full of honey mustard into the bag with all her other stuff. I was in a hurry because I had other orders waiting in line behind her, so I didn't get to tell her that we had given her the sauce in those boxes.

A few minutes later, the manager told me not to do that anymore. I asked him why, what happened. The lady had grabbed the nugget boxes quickly, with too much force, and had sprayed honey mustard all over the place. Nobody had warned her that we were giving her the sauce in boxes. I didn't get to actually see this happen. The manager made a spraying fountain gesture, as though the honey mustard had erupted like a volcano. Apparently it was pretty bad. She came in and complained, and when he offered to give her her money back; she refused to take it. Then she left.

A few minutes later, she called on the phone, but no one answered, because we were so busy and the manager was in the middle of something and couldn't get to the phone. She called again and he answered. She then complained about the fact that he hadn't answered the phone he first time, and THEN she complained because she had gotten home and found that there wasn't a straw in the bag. So that's why she called on the phone. I heard him talking on the phone with her. He said (about the lack of straws inthe bag) "So, that was the icing on the cake - or, the sauce on the nugget, so to speak." He got off the phone and did a facepalm, and told me why she had called on the phone after having already complained in person at the front counter.

I was mortified by all this because it was my fault. However, I also could not help thinking it was extremely funny. And so, when the next customer ordered honey mustard, and I had to tell him we were out of it, I started laughing uncontrollably and could not speak over the headset. He got to the window and said, "What's so funny?" in a friendly way. I apologized to him and told him the story of the exploding nugget boxes. Afterwards, I continued laughing every time someone ordered nuggets, and had this ominous feeling of anticipation every time I asked them what kind of sauce they wanted and waited for their answer. If it was honey mustard, uncontrollable hilarity.

I don't know what the manager thinks. We like each other and get along well, but he's the one who had to answer the phone and deal with the lady. He is probably slightly annoyed at me, but also annoyed that she made such a big deal out of it too. Still, I don't think I will live this one down for a while.

2 comments:

Eric The Baker said...

OMG... all I can think is LAWSUIT CITY!!!

Those EVIL SADISTIC SOB's @ McD's!!!
They did this to me deliberately! My SIG OTTER will never have "RELATIONS" with me again and my entire FACEPALM.COM clan agrees you "Capitialst Pig Dog Corporate Whores." OWE me a Bazillion Waruplaez!!!

I am gonna sue!!!

The otter is representative of "Significant other" aka wife/husband/transexual lover. The attitude is I am "THE CUSTOMER" and should be trated like GOD(ESS) INCARNATE!!! LOLZ... or perhaps to be true GIMCs (IIRC you should remember Gigglin In My Chair!)

Unfortunately For Her the value of the Waruplaez has plummetted on the market so Ronald McD has several Quadrillionz in Party CA$H and will pay her in Hoppy Mielz!!!


Goddess Bless You Nicole that story brang back nightmares from all my years of "CUSTOMER SERVICE" and yet still left me with a smile!

OK I am going back to my Holiday now,,,

Please send me an email if you need some help in th transition from APT to CAR...

Nicole said...

Waruplaez? Can't recall where that came from. Facepalm.com - love it - I'm gonna have to make that a real website. It probably already is.

You know, it didn't even occur to me, but yes, I can imagine someone getting upset enough to do a lawsuit about this!

Thanks for offering to help in the transition.