Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Blogging Wish List: RSS comments-as-such, and Old Posts Should Be Merely Links To Pages

The title pretty much sums it up. I get annoyed with the various blog pages that I have written on or when I go to read other people's blogs.

"Blogging" has a certain structure. It's almost the same on all blogs - I haven't seen a blog site structured differently than this, but they might exist.

You post an article. The article is, by default, expanded - opened up and readable, on a page with a whole bunch of other articles, which are also open and readable. This might be just my ignorance of how to do it, but I don't see any options, on any blogs where I've written, to post merely a link (a title) instead of the whole opened-up readable post.

On old pages, if you want to read them, you can't just scroll through a list of links. This is frustrating if it's a prolific blogger who writes a million huge posts, for instance, if you try to scroll around and look for old pages written at fskrealityguide. The only alternative is to do a "search" using whatever search is available, whether it's built-in at the site you're reading, or if you use a google site:whatever.com search. But 'online searching' is a totally different experience from scanning or scrolling or glancing at things, just like using the web is very different from flipping through pages in a book, or randomly glancing at a shelf full of books and noticing whatever catches your eye. Glancing randomly allows you to use your judgment about what seems interesting. It can be done quickly. Sequential reading doesn't let you glance quickly at everything at once.

I wish I could just read a list of links in either chronological or alphabetical order. Going in that direction, I guess it would also be helpful to have human-meaningful structures like tables of contents, categories (which they have at wordpress.com, but I haven't noticed them on blogger - I could be wrong about that), or tags (which are similar to the index of a book). Those structures don't happen automatically though, and require a conscious, deliberate effort for a person to build them. I am thinking of Harry Browne's website, where he occasionally posted articles, and they were just a link instead of an opened-up blog post. There are other sites where people's articles are just a list of links, like Antal Fekete on goldeagle. I'd like to see that available in blogging sites, but again, it might be, and I just don't know how.

The second wish list is that I've tried to find ways to RSS feed ALL comments, not just the comments on one particular post. I'd like to see all comments as such available in a feed. But you can only go to some post, then individually RSS that page's comments. You would have to do that for every single post every single day. I'd like to see it more like RSSing a whole forum with all of its discussions... and now that I think about it, it is actually forum-like. Maybe I should just be thinking of forums instead, except actually, a blog has a 'main author' who is the 'owner' of the site, and the 'forum' is all about that one individual person's articles, so it isn't as totally free and open as a forum where everybody just talks about whatever they want at random. This might be another one of those things that can already be done and I just don't know how. RSS feed all comments no matter what post they're on.

1 comment:

FSK said...

Yes, you can get a "comment only feed" on Blogger.

http://fskrealityguide.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default