Wednesday, March 4, 2009

thought process

Here is the thought process I went through.

'Your website has great content'; the commenter's URL was something about starting your own business.  If I see 'starting your own business' I become suspicious right away.  I imagined that somebody just posts lots of comments on people's blogs with a link back to their website as a way of advertising their website, but in reality, they don't actually care about the blog entry they read.  That's the 'spam comment' that I usually delete.  But I went through a big debate in my mind over whether I should just allow the spam comment because it was positive and neutral and general - in other words, it couldn't do any harm.  I spent about five minutes struggling to decide whether to delete it and whether I might hurt somebody's feelings because I deleted a comment that was actually real.  Afterwards, I had a bombardment from the voices who started role-playing some guy who was crying because I hurt his feelings by deleting his comment.  I can't help actually believing those kinds of images, because it's identical to something that I went through whenever I spent a long time trying to reach a guy who was deliberately ignoring me, and now the same kind of thing is happening with Martin, but I haven't yet proven for sure that he's actually ignoring me.  So I see myself in the position of the person whose comment got deleted and I feel sorry for him.  They think it's funny that I actually believe it when they play those kinds of 'jokes' on me, pretending to be some guy who's crying because he tried to say something nice about my blog and I deleted it.  When in reality it most likely was just somebody advertising instead of a relevant comment.  So it turned into this huge big deal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what happens if i don't fill those out?

Anonymous said...

yay, i changed my comment settings!