Thursday, January 13, 2011

All these fashion models have slightly longish hair

I enjoy looking at fashion magazines sometimes, but I only like a few of the pictures. I look for models that meet the criteria of my grooming rules, for instance, thick unplucked eyebrows, 'unibrows,' or very long hair. (Mustaches are unthinkable. When they do appear on runway fashion models, they're fake and they are part of an 'androgynous' theme, where the women are deliberately supposed to look like men, and it's not meant to be taken seriously, and it's not meant to look natural, and it's not meant to be a way that real women on the streets in the real world are ever going to look.)

You hardly ever see very long hair anywhere. But once in a while you see slightly long hair, such as hip length. Today I was looking at Vogue magazine, the big thick one with the Spring 2011 fashion shows in it.

I flipped through a bunch of pages and was ho-hum about most of it. But then I found Roberto Cavalli's page. Here is what I saw:

http://belarusianmodels.blogspot.com/2010/09/anabela-belikova-at-roberto-cavalli-ss.html

That's just a link to another blog, but that was the easiest web page to use to show the pictures. I also looked on the Vogue website under Roberto Cavalli, but it was hard for my browser to look at the page. They're there too, under Spring 2011.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that all of these models have slightly longish hair. It's so unusual that I wondered if they had extensions added to their hair, if it wasn't their real hair. I'm still not sure if it's real.

There are web pages devoted to very long hair, and those websites would understand me when I scoff at the shortness of waist-length hair. Waist-length hair is 'too short' by my standards, and I see it as 'off to a good start, but still has a long way to go.' Still, waist-length hair is very rare in the fashion industry.

I also liked the stringy fringes on the clothing. I like fur, and the strings resemble fur. They almost look like mermaids draped in wet fabric. The fringes would move and flow like water. It's also like a hair substitute. They don't have floor-length hair, but the fringes substitute for that. If they had very long hair, the hair would hang all over the place and dangle and move like those fringes do.

John William Waterhouse is a painter who loves long hair. http://www.jwwaterhouse.com/paintings/. However, none of his models have any armpit hair or pubic hair, and that's confusing to me, because I've read from other sources that they believe female body shaving only began recently, in about the twentieth century, and those paintings are older than that. Maybe 'normal people' didn't shave until recently. But models might have shaved when they were having their portraits painted. Maybe most people didn't.

Female shaving supposedly began (according to the sources I've read, which I would have to look up again to find them) because razor companies started looking for a way to sell more razors, so they artificially created the idea that women ought to be ashamed of their body hair. Before that, nobody cared, but all of a sudden, the advertisements started brainwashing everyone to believe that they have to spend their money and buy razors.

Long hair is kind of the same way. If you do nothing at all to your hair, you aren't spending any money on beauty products. The beauty products manufacturers want you to keep your hair around shoulder-length because it's 'more versatile for styling.' You can use hair sprays, mousse, gel, de-frizzers, and anything else, but only if your hair is short and layered. If your hair is very long, you don't style it. So the magazines and televisions sell you the image of a short-haired woman ('short' being defined as shoulder length or upper back length, which is the length that almost everyone has) so that you will buy styling products. It's not because short hair is objectively better than long hair. It's because it's easier to use styling products and 'do stuff' to your hair when it's short. It's because we watch television a lot, and all of it is meant to advertise something.

There is one way that short hair is better than long hair: it's physically safer. Short hair is less likely to get tangled in a piece of machinery or something. You could die if your very long hair got tangled in something. Other than that, short hair is mostly just something that the styling product companies want you to have.

Anyway that was my pleasant surprise for the day. I actually liked the way all of those pictures looked in the Vogue magazine on that particular guy's collection, Roberto Cavalli.

No comments: