Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Love and Money

I made a new page over on the side called "Love and Money." (look at the right side where all the other permanent pages are.) When I talk to people on PlentyOFFish, I'm going to give them the link to that page. I can't use the POF profile to advertise that idea anymore, because I tried it (on a separate, anonymous profile) and they shut it down for violating the terms of service, and when I tried to use that same email address to start up a new profile, they wouldn't let me make another new profile either. They don't want anything even suggesting anything having to do with money *at all*.

People don't want to pay money to a "pimp" - the website owners - to let them use their emails. On AdultFriendFinder, if you are a man, you can't even use the site or read emails unless you give your credit card number *to the website*.

But men don't mind paying money *directly to the woman* - they do, but they don't. It's true, I've read Warren Farrell, and I know the unfairness of how men are usually paying women, and women don't usually pay men. But I'm saying that's very different from paying money to a website. PlentyOfFish is free - you don't pay the website - but they don't want you to talk about paying the person you're dating, either. It's just assumed that someone will spend money to buy dinner or a movie for somebody, and we don't talk about that. We don't ask any questions about that. It's assumed that when you get married, one person might make more money than the other person. One person might stay home and raise the kids while the other person pays the bills. We're not allowed to talk about those things. Money and love have nothing to do with each other, they think - that's only prostitution. I disagree.

No comments: