Thursday, April 16, 2009

minor car accident

i have to tell a story, and i know i've been blogging too much. but, a few months ago, i was waiting at a stoplight. a car pulled up behind me and stopped. then, he bumped my car from behind. my head jerked forward. i didn't understand what was happening. while i was still confused, my head jerked forward again. he bumped me like five or six times in a row.

a minute later, he got out of his car and walked up to my window. it's this amazingly gorgeous young guy. he told me that his car was stuck in gear and it wouldn't park, and he apologized. so we pulled over to a nearby parking lot to talk about what happened.

i got out, and he showed me how the button on the gearshift was stuck, and that caused it to keep trying to drive instead of parking. it took him a minute to understand what was happening, and that was why he had kept bumping me several times.

i was flustered and scared, wondering if i had whiplash (i didn't). he wrote down his name and phone number, and his insurance and some other numbers for me on a paper. i thanked him. we looked at the bumper - it was trivial and i wasn't going to make him pay to fix the tiny scratch that may or may not have been caused by him. his car was okay too. and he was all right. i should have given him my number, but i was too confused.

i looked down at his feet. he was wearing big plastic boots with buckles and clips and stuff on them and i figured out that he was on his way to tussey mountain to go skiing or snowboarding. (it was winter when this happened.)

well, what did i do? i gave him a hug. i felt like that paid me back for the car bumping. i still have his number, but i never called it yet.
i won't be asking him for dates, because he was using plural possessive pronouns - 'our' car, 'we' this, 'we' that, implying a girlfriend/wife. he could tell by my tone of voice and body language that i thought he was very attractive, and he was trying to (indirectly) warn me ahead of time that i shouldn't try to get a date. however, he is on my mental list of decent, friendly, attractive, interesting young guys who have some kind of connection with me.

in a way, people are more valuable to me than money.

No comments: