Thursday, May 5, 2011

I met The Ronmower!

11:55 AM 5/5/11

I met the Ronmower, Ron the lawnmower guy. He's an LSE. The whole conversation between both of us was all introverted sensing and extraverted logic. Blah blah, when I come home from work all I want to do is take a shower and go to bed, blah blah, don't feel like doing the paperwork, woe is me, blah blah. (Who does THAT sound like?) Felt like I was having a heart attack, sat down and drank some water, realized I needed to hire some help, can't do all the work myself. I make a line on the calendar going over three days and if we get done early then the last day is free, blah blah. These are the papers that I fill out for each job, I put the name here, blah blah. Can you find out whether these things are tax deductible, and so on.

So, we understood each other just fine.

He started this lawncare/landscaping business on his own and he is now overwhelmed with the amount of business he has, and he can't do it all himself, and he can't even keep track of the money anymore, and it makes him anxious to know that he's making a profit, but he's not sure exactly how much, and he's not sure if there are any problems in any areas where he might be spending too much money or not making enough, and it fits the pattern that I've read about so many times, the pattern of what happens when people start their own business. It's just the right situation for me. He's doing this out of his house and getting paid in cash from his customers. It's a perfect practice run for me to get experience in bookkeeping.

I got a surprise text message from him last night and he rescheduled a meeting for this morning. We successfully found each other.

He shows signs of poisoning. He would sometimes have aphasia, the inability to remember a simple, ordinary noun ('file cabinet'), which I myself experience - I can't recall nouns either, and it's worst if I'm having a drug residue reaction. After I shook his hand, and after sitting near him for a few minutes at the table, I felt like I myself was a tiny bit sick too, but not overwhelmingly so, so if I go to his house to do the paperwork, I will probably be okay. I assume that the poison is probably one of several things: herbicide, pesticide, fertilizer, or perhaps the poisonous plants themselves. It may also be something like diesel fuel from the lawnmowers. I don't have any idea what kind of fuel they use, but of course it will be toxic to handle it and to breathe the smoke from it.

He also had a heart attack like incident. I have had quite a few pseudo heart attacks, so I wondered what happened. ('This is going to sound weird, but, were you standing near a rhododendron bush when this happened?') There are several poisonous plants that will cause heart attacks or pseudo heart attacks while you are mowing the lawn. Rhododendron will cause it. Also, milkweed, butterfly weed, and digitalis (foxglove). If you mow the lawnmower over any of those things, it will spray poison everywhere into the surrounding air. You will inhale the poison, and it will get all over your skin and clothing, and it will either cause a real heart attack or a transient heart attack which passes after a few minutes.

I imagine there are a few other poisonous weeds that will cause heart attacks that same way. Milkweed is very, very common, and it occurs in any 'messy' areas where you have tall grass growing with weeds. Also, I just remembered another common one: poison hemlock. We have a lot of poison hemlock, and its relatives, around here. There are a bunch of things similar to poison hemlock. I learned all this because there was a time period when I was interested in learning how to forage for food outdoors, and I was researching which local plants were poisonous.

It will also happen if you are inhaling the exhaust fumes from the lawnmower. Smoke inhalation will cause heart attack like symptoms.

It will also happen if you are exerting yourself heavily after having eaten some categories of foods which I myself have had heart reactions to - I have had reactions to dried meats like those sausage things, which I was buying a lot of during a particular time period a year or two ago. They were these little snack sausages which you usually would dip in mustard or something.

He said that his vision went blue, like he couldn't see, and he went and sat down and drank a bunch of water to flush himself out, and decided that he would try to finish the job if he felt better, but if not, that would be okay. He was able to finish it after a rest, but that signaled to him that he was doing too much work on his own and he urgently needed help so that he wouldn't overexert himself.

So I'm not sure what caused his incident. But I agree with him, he's doing too much on his own. He was happy to tell me that he had finally hired another guy just this morning, before talking to me. So he officially has some help now and they will be starting soon, and he will be less overburdened.

So he and I will try to get together next week and look at the paperwork that he needs to have done. This is my trial run of a self-employed bookkeeper job. I am doing very simple and easy stuff, nothing complicated, but it will be helpful to him, and I will gain experience and confidence, and I will also gain a reputation, so that I can use him as a reference when I am talking to future clients.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I thought my husband was crazy when he wanted to do medical billing on his own for self employed new doctors.......we have been very successful I do some of the clerical work and weboth help doctoers with "gofer duties" and have even had to hire unemployed friends to help when it gets too much.We always pay them fair and still make $
I can not beleive how easy it can be to make and keep $$ when a slave owner (employer)doesn't come between 2 people trying to make a living( like u + mower guy)
If he went thru some temp agency or bookkepping business he would pay more and you would make less for the same skills. Only problems is benefits large employers can offer at group rate and vacation /sick pay

Once someone knows you do a good job they will pass it on . That is how we grew, and have had to turn down business due to being unprepared like mower guy, now getting bettter at all of t it.
For tax purposes, he might want to keep any complicated deductible questions for an expereinced yearend or qtr.visit to an expereinced acctnt. good luck 1 down more to go

Nicole said...

You said you can't believe how easy it is to make money when the slave owners don't get in the way - I totally agree about the temp agencies there - they get paid a huge fee for every hour I work and I only get a tiny bit of it, so what would it be like if I could just go straight to the clients myself? And I don't want a lot of the 'benefits' from those places anyway - I wouldn't mind having some kind of health insurance if I had a choice about what exactly it was and how it worked, but I don't. I'd like some kind of insurance to cover the surgery I might need if I had a horrible unexpected accident, for instance, and that's all.

Medical billing is probably a nightmare. You have to deal with Medicare and all that stuff, but I guess once you learn how it works it becomes easier. So if I understand correctly your husband is actually doing something similar to what I've been getting ready to do - he isn't involved in medicine but he does the billing for other doctors.