Monday, May 30, 2011

International keyboard on the ipod

I was playing with my iPod and I added every international keyboard available. There were 47. I scrolled through them. You can hand-draw Chinese on the screen and it tries to recognize which letter it is. It's neat to draw on your iPod with your thumb. Now I want a drawing program with a touch screen. That might revive my interest in making cartoons.

As always I've had another reaction to something, but I will fix it soon. The same old story. Not my uniform but my shoes. I expect that I will be constantly having reactions while I'm living in my car, until someday when I can get the car reupholstered.

I had to actually get another new shirt. The first one was made of the wrong fabric, and it was like wearing plastic wrap over my whole upper body. It didn't let the air out. The fabric has to breathe.

We are getting new uniforms soon and they won't be a plain white shirt anymore. I won't be able to buy a decoy shirt at Wal-Mart the way I've been doing. I'll figure something out but it will be a pain.

This week isn't my vacation. I'm assuming that's because of the Trash To Treasure sale that will be going on in Hills Plaza. But our business has been slowing down lately, and as soon as the students are all gone, business will totally die. Our hours will be reduced in the summer - yet another reason why I usually like to have two jobs, but this year, I will cut expenses instead. Alhough, by the time I get out of this apartment, summer will be over and I'll be getting more hours at work again.

I hope I can work on moving out during my two days off on Monday and Tuesday. Usually on those days I need to relax and enjoy life, so I do nothing, and take walks, and go outside. It will be hard to do more heavy work on those days and then go back to mcd and do more work. If something is difficult to do, then I am unlikely to do it, no matter how important it is. I read that somewhere in the description of the SLI personality, and I agreed - that's something I've always hated about myself. I can't force myself to do urgent important things that I desperately must do, until the last three days or so, when a deadline is imminent. If it's difficult or painful I just won't do it.

About languages: I'd like to learn a language by singing. I like the song "No Tengas Miedo Volar," by an obscure little singer who might not even be on the web anymore - I bought the song years ago and I forget her name. I am able to memorize songs in foreign languages without understanding them.

If I could learn an entire language by singing songs, it would be so easy. The alphabet song, for instance.

I got this idea recently while reading about literacy. I recently said in my blog that I wanted a magic keyword that would lead me to the world of the IEE personality type. "Literacy" was the word that "they" suggested a couple days later after they woke me up. So I googled literacy. Literacy is definitely "the world of the IEE," and also of other intuitive types. I also learned the word "orality," from cultures where people pass down knowledge orally. So I was thinking of how songs are useful for memorizing things. They would help you memorize an entire language. It's easy to memorize thousands of songs.

The songs should be formulaic. William Russo's book, "Composing music - a new approach," describes how to write simple songs. The book has exercises to do, similar to Schaum's Outlines. Follow the rules when you are a beginning songwriter, and later on you can break the rules if you are competent enough to know how to do it well. For the mnemonic songs, you should write simple formulaic melodies, at least at first. But of course I'd love to see long complex structured expressive multilayered songs too.

So... Mnemonic songs to learn a language, all of the language, not just the alphabet, but everything.

No comments: