Sunday, May 22, 2011

Talking about the end of the world more than tripled the hits on my blog.

I normally get somewhere between 15-25 hits on my blog every day, even if I don't write anything that day, as people are finding a lot of my pages in google searches. The other day I suddenly had 67 hits because I was talking about the end of the world. Now I wish I had made it a really good post instead of just a silly, brief little joke. I started hearing voices later that day, and the voices were saying that people were really scared about it, and it's not a joke and it's not funny, and they really wanted to read more in depth about it. Unfortunately, it's too late now for me to do that. I would have written a more careful and thoughtful post if I had known that anybody actually cared to see it, or if I had known that people would be googling 'the end of the world' and finding my blog because they were scared about it and wanted to be reassured. I certainly would not joke about something if I was talking to a person who was actually scared and wanted to be calmed down by a thoughtful, logical explanation.

I would have said that lots of people have predicted the end of the world, and have been wrong, dozens and dozens of times. However, I would not have been easily able to find examples. The only book I have on this subject is Julian Simon, and I don't do much reading nowadays, due to limited time and energy, so I would have to do a lot of research to find other examples of people who predicted disasters that didn't happen.

No comments: