Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blood Phobia is NOT psychological, it's physical

Every since I tried eating bone marrow, I have known about the drug-like, hormone-like chemicals in blood. Bone marrow is where those chemicals come from. When I ate the tiny bit of bone marrow - and I'm glad I only ate a tiny bit - it triggered the vomit reflex, and it also made me start to pass out. I almost fainted. It gave me a feeling of high blood pressure lasting for hours, but when I took my blood pressure reading, it wasn't elevated very much - it was more a *feeling* of pressure in my head, and restless adrenaline feelings in my body. I was so uncomfortable, I had to take a walk for a long time and run around to release the energy. It was a horrible feeling. I felt like I was dying. I felt like I was being injured.

Those feelings come from hormones in the bone marrow. Those hormones travel in the blood and they are released into the air if you bleed. People nearby can smell the hormones released from your blood and it may cause them to pass out or get sick. It only takes a very small amount of the hormone to cause this effect.

I thought of it because I was reading Twilight. Also, I experienced it at Weis when an old lady fell on the floor and hit her head. Her head was bleeding badly - I think she must have been using anticoagulant drugs, because there was no reason why she should have bled so much. It was only a minor fall. But there was tons of blood around her head. Every time I walked past her, out of curiosity, I smelled the blood hormones and I almost passed out. I didn't feel scared, and I'm not phobic of the sight of blood. I almost passed out just because I inhaled the hormones.

People who react to blood are just more hormone-sensitive than other people. It's like an allergy or chemical sensitivity.

I don't know why the blood hormones make you pass out. Maybe it's to stop you from feeling pain if you are badly injured. Maybe it's to stop you from moving around, so that you won't make your injury worse.

But I learned all about this when I tried to eat beef bone marrow. Don't ever eat it. I don't know why other people are saying they've eaten bone marrow and they liked it. Some of them might be lying, some might be telling the truth. Some people might have cooked it a different way that destroys all the chemicals that cause the reaction. I tried to eat it because of the Weston Price diet. I don't know how other people are eating it, but, if I had eaten more than just a tiny crumb of it, I would have gone to the hospital with the worst food poisoning of my life. I almost went to the hospital merely from eating a tiny crumb of it. I felt like I was going to die.

I'm thinking of this because of my vomit phobia. If somebody else vomits nearby, *even if* it isn't caused by a virus - for instance, if somebody vomited because they were drunk - I can still get a 'contagious' vomiting response if I smell the fumes of the vomit. I'm not catching a virus - they didn't have a virus. I'm just inhaling the vomit-triggering hormones. There is this adrenaline feeling of fear that comes from the stomach and intestines just before you vomit. That hormone seems to get into the vomit itself and then vaporizes into the air around it when it's on the ground. Blood does something similar.

2 comments:

Phil said...

From what I understand blood pressure drops when we see blood, as a mechanism to reduce our own blood flow/loss in case we too are injured. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

retmeishka said...

That makes sense. It is really amazing.