Saturday, October 9, 2010

Show Me Heaven

I got a song that I've wanted for a long time. The first time I heard it, it was when I used to work at Giant in 1998 or so. It used to play on the intercom once in a while, so I couldn't really hear it. You can never really hear the songs on the intercom at work, if you're surrounded by noisy equipment and fans blowing. So I could only catch bits of the song. But I loved what I could hear, and I memorized what little of it that I could.

I downloaded it on iTunes and now I have it. Apparently there are several versions. I got the one by Maria McKee. I absolutely love it. I don't know if it's a live version, or something, because there are some slight imperfections in it - I can hear the sound where she brushes against the microphone once or twice, and I think I heard a member of the audience saying something or making a noise in the beginning. But whatever it is, it's great.

I think females like the sound of females singing, and males like males, because you want to feel like you're able to sing along with them. So maybe men won't love this song as much as I do? I don't know.

I really like acoustic instruments. I'm the one who's downloaded lots of electronic music back when I used to go to mp3.com, and I'm the one who bought Propellerhead Reason (software for making electronic music), but I think that electronic music can be used as a 'rough draft' instead of a final version. It's a really cheap, easy to produce rough draft, and when you're ready to play the song 'for real,' you can get real people and real instruments and play it live.

Then you have imperfections in the beat, and those imperfections make it interesting. I don't like the perfect robotic beats of hip hop and other electronic music playing nowadays. It doesn't make me get the urge to dance. But the imperfect rhythms, the speeding up and slowing down, the quieter sounds (they're not 'compressed') of real instruments, are very different from electronic music.

I couldn't dance at a club. I think dancing at a club, to hip hop, is something people do because either they're drunk, or because they don't really care what kind of music they're listening to, and they're not trying to express themselves while dancing. When I dance, I want to express something. I express feelings in the dance. But if all you want to do is jump up and down randomly, it doesn't matter if the music is robotic and unexpressive and compressed and everything is 4/4 rhythm. (Show Me Heaven is 4/4, too, but it's acoustic instruments.)

No comments: