Saturday, October 2, 2010

Football Flu: woke up with a stomach virus

I am terrified of vomiting. I have had a vomit phobia ever since I was a child. Anytime anybody else vomits, I have this mixture of fear and fascination. I can't watch, I can't stand to hear the sound of it, but also, I will ask people questions like 'What color was it?' or 'What were they eating?' I have to look at it, but I can't stand to look at it.

So this morning, I didn't know anything was wrong. I woke up thirsty in the middle of the night and took a couple sips of water out of my bottled water. All of a sudden I realized that it 'wasn't going down.' I just felt like the water was coming back up my throat. So I stopped drinking, and then I tried to lie back down, but it kept coming back up my throat, so I went into the bathroom and took a very hot bath and sat next to the toilet for a while. I came very close to vomiting, but didn't. My blood pressure went up, I felt this pressure in my head, I felt the adrenaline rush, my heart was pounding, but I stopped it from happening. I usually try very hard not to let it happen.

I get vomit viruses every time there is a football game. Every time large numbers of people travel from place to place, they bring new viruses. It happens every year. Last year I lost a lot of weight during football season because I was getting a vomit virus every single week. I don't let myself vomit - instead, I totally stop eating and drinking. It's like getting anorexia. I was skin and bones by the end of the football season. I actually took a picture of it. You could see my ribs showing through my skin. I hope that doesn't happen again this year.

No comments: