Saturday, March 5, 2011

chemical sensitivity, environmental illness, charlie sheen's behavior, and a few other random things

10:54 AM 3/5/11

My bed is a thin mat on the floor. I can hear the guy below me when he snores and when he talks on the phone. This morning I heard him on the phone saying he had just woken up around 10:30 or so. He said, 'I don't know, I've just been getting really tired lately.' Me too. I've been getting really tired lately. I need to live in a house that doesn't use pesticides, and doesn't have mold.

Where does the mold come from? Based on my observations, the mold gets into the air by leaking through holes in the wall. These holes are located in a couple of places. Under sinks, there is a hole where the water pipes go into the wall, and there is a draft of air that blows out of that hole. If you turn on a ventilation fan (like in the bathroom) without opening a window for air inflow, then the fan will struggle to pull air in from someplace, the path of least resistance, and it will pull air up through those holes under the sinks from inside the walls, which brings the smell of mold up with it. There are also drafty holes in access panels in closets and wherever else the access panels are. I know I have a moldy-smelling draft from around the access panel in my closet.

I have been really, really, really tired lately. And I don't know what kind of pesticides they used, or where they used them. At my old apartment, I asked the landlord about it and he told me the particular locations that got sprayed. But I'm under the impression that here, they did not come inside the apartments. I remember the maintenance guy telling me that they needed another copy of my key, because they didn't have one, and I have the only copy, and I have forgotten to make them a copy, so they actually can't get in here, and I haven't tried very hard to remember to make a copy. For a lot of reasons, I don't want people coming into my apartment. I always live in a constant, disgusting, horrible mess because of fatigue and because of the strange things I have to do to deal with the drug residue problem. Anyway, so I believe the poisons must have been put someplace else, around the outside of the house or somewhere. But they are still making us sick, and after hearing what my neighbor said on the phone, I know I'm not the only one going through a bout of severe fatigue.

I was going to talk about Charlie Sheen. I have heard and read that Charlie Sheen has been making a lot of strange comments lately. There were a couple of DJs on the radio talking about him and saying that there seems to be some evidence that he 'is bipolar.' I agree, sort of, with the overall idea, but I wanted to clarify it.

'Is bipolar' - the concept of 'is' makes it sound like he always is bipolar and always has been, and this is a constant, eternal state. I disagree. I think he probably would act normal usually, except he might have been using drugs recently, and they might be prescription psychiatric drugs. But you're not allowed to say out loud that prescription psychiatric drugs can trigger episodes of bipolar behavior.

There's also another theory in my mind, which is that something in the weather can change people's behavior. (When I say 'weather,' I include everything that isn't usually called weather, for instance, a change in the earth's electromagnetic field or something, and other things I don't know much about, or else radiation coming from the sun - in fact, I did hear that there was recently a big burst of energy from the sun, some kind of eruption, something that would interfere with radio on earth, like sunspots or something.) I sometimes hear about people having problems all at the same time, as though we are all being affected by something in the environment. I've read about 'chinook winds,' for instance, where the air contains positive ions and those ions can cause people to have bad moods. I just recently had a bout of mania myself but I assumed it was a drug residue outbreak.

Anyway, Charlie Sheen's behavior might be something temporary. Instead of 'diagnosing him as bipolar,' which usually leads to drugging someone for the rest of their life, I would want to understand what is triggering this episode, which might be a temporary episode of behavior. I myself could be 'diagnosed as bipolar' too, if someone noticed that every once in a while I have brief and temporary outbursts of slightly manic behavior, and then I go back to being chronically fatigued and slightly depressed, but it wouldn't be all that useful or necessary to put me on drugs for the rest of my life because of that.

If he recently started using drugs, or if he recently changed to another drug, or changed the dosage, or started using an herbal drug (since herbal drugs are often not taken seriously as a real drug), that could be triggering his behavior.

What else was I going to talk about? I forget.

I'll just post this and then come back later if I remember.

Oh - cavities. Whenever I write a post that says 'I forbid people to use any dental fillings for their cavities,' then I start hearing voices afterwards telling me that there are people who are actually trying to do as I say. I usually assume that nobody knows I exist and that they all ignore me and would never even consider doing anything that I say, so I usually don't worry about that when I write my blog. But 'they' insisted that I should talk about this.

So when I say that I forbid someone to use any dental fillings at all, because all types of dental fillings are harmful and because you can make cavities stop if you change your diet (and probably also if you stop using all drugs, including over the counter drugs, and things like antacids, and also, if you get away from exposures to toxic chemicals and heavy metals in your environment) - when I say that, I'm not actually wanting people to sit there suffering the agonizing pain of a cavity and do nothing about it. I always assume that everyone will just keep on living their normal lives, until and unless I can actually help them and support them somehow in real life. And right now I can't do much of anything useful.

And this is something that needs a lot of support, because it's hard to get away from environmental chemicals, it's hard to know what they are and where they are, and where to go to avoid them, and it's hard to know exactly what diet to use to make cavities stop hurting. And I have read about this, and experienced it myself, that sometimes my teeth hurt and then they stop hurting if I change my diet, so I know that it's true, I just don't know the degree of how much you can control your cavities or how long it takes. Supposedly, it happens overnight, instantly, when you change your diet - you notice the pain stops immediately, and then the teeth gradually become stronger. But that is what I've read.

Anyway I actually don't want people blaming me for the fact that they're sitting there with their cavities getting worse because none of us know how to troubleshoot what exactly is causing your cavities, and they've been told to never, ever get any kind of fillings at all because all fillings cause harmful side effects. I would want to help, but I don't know enough, and I don't want other people to be 'guinea pigs' for an experiment.

I wanted to mention something about lead poisoning. A lot of people mistakenly believe that you get lead poisoning if, for instance, you're a little kid who likes to peel the paint off the walls and eat it. Or the paint is peeling by itself and crumbling into a pile on the floor or out on the porch of an old house, and you sit there and eat it. They assume it's something that only a little kid would do.

You don't have to eat it!

All you have to do is touch the walls. The paint can still be stuck on the walls. If there is lead paint on your walls, all you have to do is put your hand against the wall, and you will get a low level dose of lead poisoning by transdermal absorption.

That is the reason why I say it's not easy to avoid environmental chemicals. Everyone assumes that you have to actually eat something to get poisoned by chemicals, but you don't. All you have to do is, for instance, walk barefoot through an apple orchard where somebody used to spray lead arsenic pesticide, decades and decades ago, and it's still in the soil. It will go directly through your skin.

I am thinking about this because some guy got arsenic poisoning, and they thought it was from eating morel mushrooms that grew in an orchard, but they were saying that the morels didn't contain very much arsenic, so it was a mystery to them how this could have given him arsenic poisoning. They said the poison was in the soil, but the mushrooms didn't take in very much of it. All he had to do was kneel on the ground and dig around in the dirt a lot, to get arsenic poisoning from the places where people had sprayed arsenic in the distant past.

Hardly anyone knows about transdermal absorption of poisons, and people DON'T LIKE that idea - it's too scary. It makes you feel as though you're surrounded by terror everywhere you go, and I don't want people to feel that way. It's only a problem if you NOTICE that you are having a problem! If, and only if, you have some kind of symptoms or health problems, THEN you need to wonder what could be triggering them. I don't want healthy, normal people to walk around thinking that everything everywhere will make them sick if they touch it.

However, you might not notice the sensation of touching lead paint. I myself do notice the sensation. It wasn't paint in particular, though - I've never touched lead paint to find out whether I could feel it. This was actually a piece of lead. If I touch something made of lead, then within a few seconds, I feel a tickling sensation in the skin that's touching the lead. Then, over a few minutes, my head starts to feel numb and stupid and wrong. I start to become unable to think. I can actually feel the transdermal lead poisoning when it happens. It's even worse if it's wet when you touch it.

So it's true, maybe people won't easily be aware of the sensations and symptoms that they feel. It would be easier to just live in a place where they had certified that there were no harmful chemicals and you wouldn't even have to worry about it.

This is relevant to the water supply. You can avoid drinking heavy metals (or pharmaceuticals or some other chemical that people say is in the water) if you don't drink tap water. However, you still take a shower in it, and when you're in the shower, you 1. breathe the vapor, and 2. absorb some chemicals through your skin. If you live in a place that fluoridates the water, then it totally, totally sucks to be you. You can't avoid it by not drinking it. You just have to move to another state, the end. Don't we love government. You have the power to slightly lower your dosage of fluoride by drinking bottled water instead, but you are still getting some of it in the shower.

There are a lot of things that are just not easy to avoid. That's why I don't want to put a lot of pressure on people to feel like they have to do something, when they can't. If you give support, like for instance create an intentional community where they handle their water supply differently, so that it filters out chemicals better than the public water supply does, that's something you are doing to physically support someone as they try to avoid chemicals. And I haven't done anything like that.

It's hard to troubleshoot what causes people's illnesses if you suspect that they might have symptoms caused by chemicals in their environment. It's also hard to troubleshoot symptoms triggered by the weather.

I think I've said enough, and I have to get ready to go to work pretty soon.

No comments: