Friday, March 4, 2011

i feel this

I was reading about someone deciding to quit posting on forums and get back to real life. I feel the call to this and I am getting goosebumps and feeling very excited while reading it. It makes my body feel stronger. It reminds me of meetup.com (a website that is so slow on my computer, I can't actually use it), where they say 'using the internet to get off the internet' and the whole site is intended to be used for that purpose.

The link: http://forum.socionix.com/topic/348-the-great-escape/. The part that was exciting me and giving me goosebumps was when she (I think someone said it was a female?) was saying this:



Along with this, I also have the ability to forget the bad things that have happened to me. Consequently, I tend to only remember the times where I have been happy. This might sound like heaven in a sandwich, but there is a catch. This mechanism has caused me to completely screen out certain periods of my life, often reaching up to several years at years in length. When I look back and think of the period where I was posting the most, it seems as if my memory was completely erased. I literally remember nothing, as if I didn't live for that amount of time. I prefer to be able to look back at my days in nostalgia, not with a completely blank mind. By getting off the computer and the16types, I'll be able to take more control of my life, and the events that occur within it.


I agree: all the things that I really remember were when I was out *doing* something. I am already television-free - I haven't owned a television since I left my parents' house in 1993 and went to college - in fact, I have never owned a television, unless you count that cheap little thing that had a VCR connected to it, and rabbit ears that didn't get any reception on any station at all, so I could watch a screen full of static with some muffled voices in the background. I used it to rent videos. I'm happy without a television.

If I had to make a website, I could write it out by hand on paper. Then I could carry it to the library or somewhere and type it in. I'd be much more goal-oriented and time-limited. This all reminds me of the Amish, who I love, and the Amish are the one special thing about Pennsylvania that I love, even though I don't really like much else about Pennsylvania. The Amish don't have telephones inside their houses. The phone has to be either out in the barn, or out on the street on a communally shared public phone. I hate the telephone so much that I've often wanted to not have one in the house.

So I've been feeling the call to disconnect from the networks again. I wonder how I would hunt for people with shared interests offline - I've thought about this - I've thought about putting up paper ads on bulletin boards and that kind of thing. I could think some more about that.

No comments: