Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This whole rant about bulky websites started because of Soaring Eagle's dreadlocks site.

2:14 PM 3/1/11

This whole rant about frames and plain text started because of http://www.dreadlockssite.com/ (I hope that's the right URL - I'm not looking at it right now - I might have it confused with another site).

That dreadlocks site called itself a 'facebook for dreadheads.' As of yesterday, I am now an officially registered, licensed, officially recognized dreadhead, you know, with my own dreadhead ID# and everything, and they're sending me my collar and name tag in the mail and I will be proudly owned by the dreadhead community. (It's like Lady and the Tramp, where he's all happy to get his new collar. I need to watch that movie again - it's been a couple decades since I saw it - I would notice nuances of meaning that I wasn't aware of when I was a child!) Don't take me literally, I'm joking. But I am an officially registered member of that site now. So if anybody needs to find a dreadhead for some reason, in Bellefonte PA, they know where to find me now.

Well, anyway. I am having a little problem. My computer-browser-dialup arrangement doesn't like that website. It takes an EXTREMELY long time to load, and I can't even see WHAT it's loading. If I view it the way they meant it to be viewed, it locks up one of my old versions of Opera - the one I prefer to use. I have to push a button to display the page differently. But I can view it in a new version of Opera, but that version has some technical problems - and my computer needs a massive cleanup, which I haven't gotten around to - and so it tends to lock up too, and it takes like more than five minutes to load.

Well, I have glanced around the site, and it's my understanding that this site belongs to Soaring Eagle. Soaring Eagle is a guy in a wheelchair, with floor-length dreadlocks that he's been growing for a couple decades, and a beard. And I get the impression from glancing around that YOU DO NOT F*CK WITH SOARING EAGLE. That's just the feeling I get. Soaring Eagle is the master of this community.

So, here I am, and I am just a clueless newbie. A clueless newbie does not go up to Soaring Eagle and say, 'Um, Soaring Eagle? I am but a newbie. And I was thinking that if you totally redesigned your website from scratch, it would work better in my old browser. But, that was just a thought! Don't mind me!' I have a long way to go to earn my status there.

I actually feel that same way about other websites, like Wordpress.com - I wish I could go tell them to totally rebuild it from the ground up so that it would be lightweight in my browser - but I don't see the human faces behind Wordpress.com, and if I did see them, they would be short-haired and shaved - ordinary people, not that respectable, not that intimidating. I wouldn't fear them all that much. I wouldn't feel the same way that I would feel going up to Soaring Eagle. When I walk up to Soaring Eagle, I will bow my head.

3 comments:

soaringeagle said...

im soaringeagle and everyone and anyone can come up to me and talk to me it sounds like your pc is the real issue (and dialup whos on dialup anymore?)

but we are redesigning from the ground up
in fact http://ww3.dreadlockssite.com is the new framework designed with a mobile 1st design to be more responsive to mobile and tablet users
there have definately been slow times on the site and fast times too the sites complicated with many features and a couple outside widgets that tend to be the slowest part of site loads
i try to ballance adding new features with speeding it up so when it gets slow i trim it down again
the new version of the site should work better
but a clean pc..and firefox would be your best option over all

im always open to suggestions and willing to accept help so dont be shy talk to me

Nicole said...

Hi Soaringeagle, it's nice to hear from you - I haven't been to the dreadlockssite in a long time! I'm not using dialup anymore, thank goodness. I usually use wifi on my netbook. However, my netbook is really slow because it's filled with all kinds of spyware and junk that needs to be cleaned off. I've wanted to work on cleaning up my computer for a while now but I've been postponing it. So, now ALL web pages are pretty slow even if there's almost nothing on them. But the slightest little bit of extra stuff makes them take forever. I will take a look at the new site and see how it works on my computer now.

htmlWebwizard said...

Ill be damned. DLS is the slowest site on planet earth. Even now in 2014 (3 years since this post) its still sluggish and badly optimized. If Google Chrome is the fastest most used browser why does it not get optimized to work with chrome? In FF DLS is still slow and the only advantage it has over chrome is that you can now use the design studio. How hard is it to fix a simple big like that? should not take more than a day to figure out and fix. Please dont reply telling me to use fire fox, FF is not the best browser out there, you like it and you are the lazy one, im sure 98% of DLS members use google chrome. And please learn how to use spell chek seeing as you are to unprofessional and lazy to spell correctly.