Monday, April 4, 2011

Nathaniel Branden's going to die soon!

I am signed up to get his email newsletter and he said he has had a health problem recently and he isn't able to go see Atlas Shrugged!!! He has to be really sick if he can't even go see a movie! :( :( :( I started crying. I read all of his books years ago. I know he's really old now. It has to happen someday. I remember when Harry Browne died. Julian Simon died too, but I don't think I knew him yet, because I don't remember when he died. Jim Henson died and John Denver died. (Yes, my parents listened to John Denver and I grew up listening to him.)

Actually, I looked at the letter again, and it says that he DID see the premiere. He just won't be able to go in this group get-together thing.

Reading Nathaniel Branden is important for anyone who's gotten into Objectivism (Ayn Rand) because Nathaniel (I guess I will just use his first name - I don't want to call him 'Branden.' He's DYING right now. He's not just 'Branden.') talks about what the objectivist cult was like, and he questioned their assumptions after getting out of the cult, and then he was able to sort of keep the baby and throw out the bathwater, and he wrote about how to appreciate what was good about objectivism without getting messed up by the things that were bad about it. So it was helpful for me to read him. I was able to see a more balanced view of Ayn Rand and Objectivism.

Maybe he won't die just yet. But this doesn't sound good.

Dear Friend,

I am writing today to extend to you an invitation to participate in
history.

After seeing this amazing and inspiring adaptation of a great book at
its LA premier, I'm delighted to present you the opportunity to join
me in an event that I can only experience in spirit, due to recent
health complications.

I was in my twenties when I had the extraordinary opportunity to read
"Atlas Shrugged" as it was being written and it would have been
inconceivable to me then to think of it being made into a movie. I am
astonished to discover how wrong I had been; this movie is a
remarkable, entertaining creative force produced through a bright
love for the very best aspects of Ayn Rand's seminal work.

It is easy for any admirer of Ayn Rand to understand the importance
of this movie opening in this city during this time in American
history.

If you can, we invite you -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?TheBrandenInstitute/62abee3b69/66f8459d8f/0ce051e2e4 treat yourself to some popcorn and this once in a lifetime
movie-going experience.

Best,

Nathaniel

No comments: