Sunday, April 3, 2011

upload won't go, youtube keeps locking up, i'm so annoyed i don't want to bother with this anymore. so much for now.



OMIGOD!  I have had it with this bullshit!  The new version of Windows Notepad sends some kind of wordwrap character at the end of every single line instead of just wrapping the words within the program!  When I pasted from wordpad, it changed everything to double spaced lines because of that wordwrap character!  The OLD version of notepad doesn't do that when I paste into Wordpress!  I am going to try turning off wordwrap and see if it does the same thing again. - No, it's okay.

This is uploading in a slow trickle, but it is uploading.  I don't know why they closed Barnes & Noble early.  I should have been able to continue uploading there if they were able to finish the files in just a couple minutes.  I don't know what I'm going to talk about while I wait for this.  I guess I could just complain about a whole lot of random things. 

This netbook - I still haven't ever messed with the operating system in my other laptop, the Windows XP, which doesn't connect to the internet - I deliberately wanted it to not connect.  And I haven't learned how to operate this netbook either.  Both of them are extremely slow.  I hate it when I click something, not just a link on the web, but just an ordinary program on my computer, and it takes several milliseconds of waiting, with a little circle spinning, before it will open.

This is a non-trivial complaint.  It is in fact very serious and it is a major business opportunity for anyone who insists that 'less is more' and a fast light computer is much more pleasant to use than a slow, unresponsive one.

A few years ago I started learning C++ programming.  OMG, I'm sitting here in McDonald's, not the one I work at, but a different one down the street, and I heard the beeping noise that the grill makes when it's about to open up, which means you have to stop whatever you're doing and go get the burgers off the grill or they'll burn.  So my body is automatically programmed to drop what I'm doing and go running to the grill when I hear that sound.  I am a customer, sitting out here in my normal clothes with my hair down, with my netbook, and I heard that sound and had the urge to go running and get the burgers off the grill.  Nobody would know who I am (although if Adam is still here, he would know me) and I'd be in there with my hair down and my slippery normal shoes on.

Anyway, I started learning C++.  And while reading about it, I learned that C programs are faster to load than C++.  This is because the C++ programs have a whole bunch of something-or-others that I can't remember the name of... basically, it's a huge file with a lot of information in it that tells the program where to find everything.  That file has to open before any program written in C++ can open, so they take longer, and it's long enough that you can feel it and be annoyed by it.  A C program will open instantly, in a flash, the very moment after you push the button, almost as quickly as if it opened BEFORE you pushed the button.  It's extremely responsive.  Same for 'green screen' computer systems.  They are also extremely fast responding because they are written in a programming language that doesn't load a whole bunch of files before actually starting the program.

Well, Windows is getting to be like that.  I know nothing at all about this because I haven't been reading about it for several years now, but I know that the newest versions of Windows are the slowest and buggiest ever.  Every single time I shut down this netbook, I have to do 'force program to close.'  After doing that, it STILL sits there pretending to shut down but not really, so I have to manually push the button to shut it down.  Then when I restart it tells me Windows was shut down improperly.  This is the oldest annoying Windows bug that has been happening since all the way back in Windows 95, and they STILL haven't fixed it once and for all!  Apparently, it's tradition.

I don't know enough about this computer to fix the bugs and make it work better.  Back when I was using St. John's Wort, I did have a lot more mental focus, and I could sit there learning how to do something random, especially random things on computers, and I don't usually do that nowadays.  I don't want to take the drug too much unless I absolutely have to - I sometimes take it if I have to deal with a disaster, like a job loss, where I have to take action quickly whether I want to or not, because I'm not able to deal with it while also being forced awake every single night instead of being able to sleep, and being attacked when I meditate, so that I cannot motivate myself to take action.  I can't deal with life problems and disasters while also being electronically harassed. Anyway, I haven't learned as much about computers since I stopped taking St. John's Wort, but that is the price I pay for being drug free.  When I get pregnant, I definitely will not be using any drugs at all, including caffeine.  I won't drink coffee or eat chocolate. 

It's no wonder I don't upload movies very often.  I'm just uploading the SHORT ones now!  The two that I made the other day are longer.  If I don't get a good connection for those, they will take all day. 

I really do enjoy going to the dreadlockssite forum.  It reminds me of something I read in socionics on another page, not my favorite page from you know who.  They said that if you put together all the people whose types start with the same letters, then they call it a 'health group.'  That would be SLI, SLI, SEI, SEE for me.  It seems like there are lots of irrational sensing types in the dreadlocks forum.  That's just my impression.  It makes me feel very comfortable there, talking about a sensing-related issue and seeing lots of pictures of beautiful people.  I don't think that many sensors (sensers?) go to the socionics forum.  I went there and registered. 

Damn it.  I was disconnected from the net.

Lack of familiarity also annoys me on the computer.  I don't want to see every single interface looking different from the way it used to look.  Every color, every shape, every outline of every box, every cursor, every icon looks different when they make a new Windows.  Then you have to go hunting for the setting that says 'Classic Windows' or something.  I don't want to be bothered with that.  I don't want to be forced to have to hunt for every little thing, every filename, every pathway to every folder, because everything is in a different place and a different order than it was before. 

I feel totally helpless without Zone Alarm.  I want to quickly and easily look at what's going on on my internet connection.  On dialup, you can see an icon showing two little connected computers blinking lights.  But on wireless, you can't see anything at all that tells you whether or not something is going on, or whether it's just sitting there.  (Although, I can use my senses.  If my head feels dizzy, then my computer is sending something.  I can feel the radio frequency and it makes me a little bit sick.)  But I want to just look down at a blinking icon that tells me I'm sending and receiving something.  There's almost always a way to set up the computer to do something, but as I said, I haven't been spending time learning how to use the netbook. 

So I'm downloading Zone Alarm so that I will have more control over what's going on with the net.  I'll be able to find out once and for all whether I'm secretly uploading or downloading things that I don't want to do.  'Windows Firewall' is just an abstraction!  I tried to 'look at' the Windows Firewall, but I couldn't find anything to look at!  It's just sort of a folder with a bunch of settings that you can change.  I can't actually see any kind of interface where you can change settings and watch what's going on.  So I will get zone alarm and have something that I can actually control.  Windows Firewall is sort of like something imaginary that's been put there just to reassure you because somebody somewhere told you that having a firewall on your computer was a good thing.  Then you go look at the folder and say, 'Yay, I have a firewall.  Good for me.'  Then you go back to being ignorant. 

Well, I can't sit here anymore.  Either I'm being attacked and forced to leave, or else I'm genuinely restless and want to get up.  I am probably being attacked and forced to leave.  I also feel a little bit hungry.  I will finish this later then.

No comments: