Monday, April 4, 2011

What will we do without Nathaniel Branden?

We are all in this together. Right now, hundreds and hundreds, maybe thousands, of emails are flooding Nathaniel Branden's inbox. He might not get back to his computer and he might never read the emails, but we are sending them anyway. I sent a letter too. I told him that I love him and I thanked him for all that he has done. I said I hoped he got well soon but I said I understood that he might not get better and that he might die.

Nathaniel Branden is like Dumbledore to Objectivists. Just knowing that he is alive, just knowing that he is somewhere out there, makes us all feel safe. He casts an aura of protection around the whole world. He protected us from going numb and from being mindless slaves. When he is gone, what will we do? Who will remind us that our lives matter? Who will tell us that what we want matters? What if we forget? Who will be our guardian now? Who will keep us 'awake?' Who will make us feel that all together we are doing something important? Who will keep us safe against evil?

There is this feeling that if Nathaniel Branden is alive out there somewhere, then nothing really bad can happen to the world. If anything happens, Nathaniel Branden will stop it.

There is an invisible war in the world. There are wars that we can see, and there are wars of the spirit.

Who will remind us not to give up?

No comments: